Words of Wisdom

A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, a fool by his own. --Latin Proverb

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Weekend Downtown

Hello everyone! I hope your week is going splendidly. I didn't get much of a chance to blog this weekend; company Friday/Saturday and I spent my Saturday evening and Sunday downtown! It was amazing :-).

The old Mayfair Inn, currently headquarters of NTM.
We parked the car and walked up and down 1st and 2nd Street before stopping in at Taste of Thyme Cafe in Magnolia Square for coffee as there was a slight chill in the air. Jim ordered a caramel macchiato, which was delicious, and I had a cappuccino. Just a word of caution, a cappuccino is merely frothy black coffee. So, make sure you order it flavored. Despite my coffee, I would definitely recommend it.

Next, we went to an art galley (right down the road of course) which embarrassingly enough, I can't remember the name of.  Surprisingly, they had live acoustic music and to top it off... beer!  We walked around and looked at everything.  There were so many different styles, I was blown away.  The staff was very knowledgeable and helpful as well.  Jim had inquired about an acrylic piece and within minutes, he was speaking to the artist using the owner's phone.  Unheard of in any place I've ever been. 

After deciding that we should leave before we spent money we didn't have, we decided to check out Christo's for dinner.  This came as a recommendation from the friendly folks two different Facebook groups that I joined I grew up in Sanford, Florida and am not ashamed to admit it and We Grew Up In Sanford Florida.  Anyways, I was told that they had the best greek salad in the world, so of course we had to try it.  We soon learned how true that statement was.  I had a burger and Jim had a french dip.  Delicious to the very last bite!

After dinner we walked down to the lakefront for a little while and then walked 1st and 2nd Street again before heading home for the night.  The next morning when we got up, we still had Sanford fever.  He got dressed and headed back downtown.  We rode Magnolia, Park, Palmetto, and Sanford Avenues up and down looking at all of the houses.  Then we rode up and down every street from 1st to 20th doing the same.  We had lunch at the Willow Tree (German cuisine)  which was good although I didn't know what most of the items on the menu were...

Needless to say, we had a fabulous weekend and neither of us can wait to go back.  So, if you have some spare time, head downtown and walk around for awhile.  There is really nothing else like it.

No comments: