Words of Wisdom

A wise man learns by the mistakes of others, a fool by his own. --Latin Proverb

Saturday, May 5, 2012

What Am I Doing Here?

To be quite honest, I have no idea... yet.  Let's rewind to a few days ago.  Thursday afternoon (5/5/12) my boss finally had time to have the sit down with me that I had requested earlier in the week.  I'm Assistant of Operations at a company in Lake Mary, FL called Applied Concepts.  We are a phone-based training company that works in the automotive industry.  I won't bore you with the details, but I started there on Augest 25th of 2011 as a trainer.  After a few months, a position opened up and I become the glorified paper-pusher that is writing to you today.  Anyways, I had planned to discuss implementing some new reporting methods and such when a bomb was dropped on me.  My boss asked me if I planned on making my job with the company a career.

I suppose at that time fireworks should have been exploding in my brain and I should have been filled with happiness, or relief, or something.  This wasn't the case however.  For some reason all I could think of was one word... RUN!  This shocked me, and even scared me a little.  Up until this point I was content with what I was doing and where I was.  I may have even been one of those people who would have said that I loved my job.  As I sat there, all I could think to myself was that I had reached the end of the road.  This was it.  I was going to sit at the same desk doing the same meaningless nothing that I had done for the past 9 months for the rest of my life.  Obviously, I'm not ok with this.

I feel like I want more out of life.  I want to go places and see things.  I want to do something that will make a difference, and at the rate I'm going, that type of lifestyle doesn't factor into the equation.  So I got home that day and turned my leisure time over to Lord Google.  I don't know what I was trying to find or where my mind was at that point but looking back at my search history today, it was pretty laughable.  I was honestly googling things like "where is the cheapest place to live in the united states" and "how to eat for less money".  It's semi-apparent that at that point I must have been thinking that I needed to make money stretch further so that I could accomplish all of the things in life that I wanted.  But really, eating different variations of mac-n-cheese and hashbrown casserole isn't going to get me anything, is it?

And then it happened...

Somehow, Lord Google was smiling at me that day and after a ridiculous search for "how to live without having a job" I struck webpage gold... stevepavlina.com.  Now, I can't say that I've read everything he has to say for there are weeks, possibly months, of reading material there, but I know that I've read enough to know that I can do something different with my life.  With a little luck, this "something" will be bigger and better and more fulfilling than I can even imagine at this point in time.

This, my friends, is what has brought me here and will keep me, and hopefully you, coming back.  Now what does the future of Matt Tipple Online hold?  This is still unclear, but I know for certain that it will be a positive, constant, and welcomed change to my life... maybe even your own.  So if my journey interests you, please come back and let's see what happens.

No comments: